If a business wants to remain competitive in times of digital transformation (AKA. right now), they need a person dedicated to helping them maximize how they use their technology. As well as keeping their network and important data safe and secure. For most large enterprises, this is the responsibility of the Chief Information Officer (CIO) but what about the SMBs that can’t afford to have a full-time executive spearheading technical projects?
*Draw the curtains*
… and enter the Virtual Chief Information Officer (vCIO).
A vCIO brings all the benefits of a CIO to an SMB, but at a fraction of the cost! In this post, we will highlight one of the key roles in our company, the vCIO by shedding light on what they do and the value they can bring to businesses like yours.
What is a vCIO?
A vCIO is a professional who has a strong understanding of IT and how it relates to business goals and objectives. They provide businesses with expert advice and guidance on technology without the challenges of hiring a full-time, in-house executive.
What does a vCIO do?
A vCIO works remotely to oversee your technology operations, and build a relationship with you to understand your business needs, challenges, and the role technology can play in helping you to achieve your business goals. In short, a vCIO helps your business become more proactive with your technology. Some of the responsibilities of the vCIO are to:
- Help you build a 1-3 year IT Strategy (IT Roadmap) for your business that is considerate of future goals and initiatives;
- Create a budget for your technology that aligns with the IT Strategy and your growth potential;
- Identify and explain any business risks relating to technology and make recommendations to minimize them;
- Be your go-to resource for all things business and IT-related;
- Meet with you regularly to keep you aware and involved with the IT evolution of your organization;
- Propose relevant technology solutions for your business so you can accomplish your goals;
- Advise you on best practices;
- And make sure your business is aware of compliance requirements.
What is the benefit of a vCIO for my business?
Employing a full-time salaried on-site CIO can be expensive for small businesses. For SMB owners who may not have the funds to hire in-house IT staff, they can instead partner with a Managed IT Services Provider like Yardstick, that provides a vCIO—in addition to support staff and other benefits. The vCIO is dedicated to helping your business cut IT operating costs, minimize downtime, and eliminate reoccurring or forming technical issues. Having a vCIO that knows you, knows your business, and knows what technology is needed to help you achieve your goals can help your business stay relevant and ahead of your competition.
At Yardstick, your vCIO is not just focused on what is best for your business today, but what will benefit your business down the road.
Level up your business with a vCIO
Are you interested in having a vCIO support your business and its technology? With decades of expertise under our belts and access to the tools and knowledge you need, we are the partner you are looking for! Contact us today for a free- no-obligation call to find out how we can support your business.